- 200g mini asparagus, trimmed
- 2 nori sheets, halved
- 200g sliced smoked salmon, cut into 4cm squares
Basic sushi rice (makes 3 cups)
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1/4 cup sushi seasoning (see note)
- You'll need a bamboo sushi mat for rolling.
- Step 1Make basic sushi rice: Rinse and drain rice 3 times or until water runs clear. Place rice in a strainer. Drain for 10 minutes.
- Step 2Place rice and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 12 minutes or until rice has absorbed water. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Transfer to a large ceramic dish. Stir rice with a plastic spatula to break up lumps. Gradually add seasoning while lifting and turning rice until rice is almost cold.
- Step 3Cook asparagus in a saucepan of boiling water for 1 minute or until tender. Rinse under cold water. Drain. Cut each asparagus spear in half crossways. Cut each nori sheet into 2cm-wide strips.
- Step 4Form tablespoons of rice into rectangular mounds with rounded edges. Top each mound with 2 pieces asparagus and 1 piece salmon to make 24 battleships.
- Step 5Wrap 1 nori strip around each. Serve.
You can find sushi seasoning, sushi mats, nori sheets and wasabi paste in the Asian section of larger supermarkets. Serve sushi with soy sauce, pickled ginger and extra wasabi paste.
- Author: Cathie Lonnie
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Super Food Ideas