- 2 lemons
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2/3 cup (165ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped oregano
- 4 spatchcocks, butterflied
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained
- 1 tablespoon verjuice (see note)
- 1 cup (120g) pitted green olives, chopped
- Rocket, to serve
- Roasted potatoes, to serve
- Step 1Remove the rind of 1 lemon using a vegetable peeler and combine with juice of 1/2 lemon, two-thirds of the garlic, 2 tablespoons oil and half the parsley and oregano and season well. Place spatchcocks in a glass dish, pour over the marinade, cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Step 2Roughly mash anchovy fillets in a bowl with verjuice, juice of 1/2 lemon, finely grated zest of 1 lemon and remaining garlic, parsley, oregano and 1/2 cup (125ml) oil. Stir in the olives and set aside.
- Step 3Preheat a chargrill pan to medium-high. Cook spatchcocks, skin-side down, for 5 minutes or until charred. Turn over and cook for a further 8-10 minutes until cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover loosely with foil and rest for 10 minutes.
- Step 4Cut spatchcocks and serve with olive relish, rocket and roasted potatoes.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
From delis and gourmet food shops.
Maggie Beer is an Australian icon who is passionate about everything she does. This recipe is inspired by the chooks her daughter rears in the Barossa Valley.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Andy Lewis
- Publication: delicious.