- 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 800g barramundi fillets, cut into large pieces
- 225g can sliced bamboo shoots, julienned
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Small basil leaves, extra, to serve
- Step 1Add 60ml (1⁄4 cup) of the coconut milk to a wok over high heat and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the coconut milk splits. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 2Gradually stir the remaining coconut milk into the wok. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 3Add the barramundi, bamboo shoots, fish sauce and brown sugar. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the barramundi is just cooked through. Stir in the basil. Serve with the rice and top with the extra basil.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Lower gi
Freeze any leftover red curry paste in individual portions in snaplock bags – just make sure to squeeze out any air. Defrost the portions you need and stir into fish cakes, stir-fries and Asian-inspired soups and curries for an instant flavour boost.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine