- 150g (1 cup) black quinoa, rinsed
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 60ml (1/4 cup) mirin
- 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 2 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 4 (about 150g each) salmon fillets
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, halved, deseeded, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked
- 4 green shallots, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 long fresh red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Step 1Bring quinoa and water to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low.
- Step 2Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until just tender. Cool under cold running water. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl. 2 Meanwhile, combine the mirin, lime rind, juice, tamari, ginger and sesame oil in a screw-top jar and shake to combine.
- Step 3Heat the coconut oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium- high heat. Pat salmon skin dry with paper towel. Season skin. Cook, skin-side down, for 3 minutes or until crisp. Turn and cook for a further 2-3 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Step 4Add cucumber, coriander, shallot, chilli and three-quarters of the dressing to the quinoa. Toss to coat. Divide among serving plates. Top with salmon. Drizzle remaining dressing around salmon and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Low carb
All nutrition values are per serve
Use it up! Finely grate and freeze any leftover bits of ginger in ice-cube trays with water, ready to pop into herbal tea or soup before heating.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: Taste Magazine