- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 (about 200g each, 2cm thick) salmon fillets, skin on
- 80ml (1/3 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg chat (small coliban) potatoes
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1Combine the paprika, oregano, salt, cumin, allspice, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a small bowl.
- Step 2Brush salmon with 1 tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with spice mixture. Place in a glass or ceramic dish and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to develop the flavours.
- Step 3Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan with remaining oil and use a fork to crush. Season with salt and pepper and cover to keep warm.
- Step 4Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the salmon, skin-side down, and cook for 3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil and set aside for 2-3 minutes to rest.
- Step 5Divide salmon and potatoes among serving plates and serve immediately with orange, tomato & basil salsa.
You can prepare the spice mix (step 1) up to 1 day ahead. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Serving suggestion: Serve this recipe with Orange, tomato & basil salsa (see related recipe).
- Author: Louise Pickford
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Australian Good Taste