- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 60g butter
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
- 8g sachet dry instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200ml creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon horseradish cream
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 300g smoked salmon, sliced
- Step 1Place milk and 30g butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Heat for 2 minutes or until butter just melts and mixture is warm. Remove from heat.
- Step 2Combine flours, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Lightly beat egg yolks and add to flour mixture. Gradually add warmed milk mixture, whisking constantly to form a smooth, thick batter. Cover and stand in a warm place for 1 hour or until mixture has doubled in size.
- Step 3Using electric beaters, beat eggwhites until firm peaks form. Gently fold through flour mixture. Melt remaining 30g butter in a microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM (50%) for 50 to 60 seconds. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush pan with a little of the melted butter. Using 1 tablespoon of batter per blini, cook blini in batches for 1 minute each side or until golden and just cooked through. Remove to a clean tea towel. Wrap to keep warm.
- Step 4Combine creme fraiche, horseradish cream and dill in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Place blini on a serving tray. Spoon 1 teaspoon of mixture onto each. Top with salmon. Serve.
- Author: Alison Adams
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara & Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Super Food Ideas