- 1/3 cup (60g) buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 20g butter
- 1/2 cup (125g) creme fraiche
- 2 teaspoons horseradish cream
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped dill
- 6 slices smoked salmon, thickly sliced
- Dill sprigs, to serve
- Step 1Combine flours in a bowl. Whisk buttermilk and egg in a jug. Add to the flour mixture and stir until a smooth batter forms. Set aside for 15 minutes to rest.
- Step 2Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Drop 6 teaspoonsful of mixture into the pan, allowing room for spreading. Cook for 1 minute or until golden underneath. Turn and cook for a further 30 seconds or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Continue batches with remaining batter, greasing the pan between each batch.
- Step 3Combine the creme fraiche, horseradish and dill in a bowl. Top each pikelet with a dollop of creme fraiche mixture. Place a slice of smoked salmon and a dill sprig on top. Arrange on a serving platter to serve.
- Author: Sarah Hobbs
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Notebook: