- 1 bunch baby beetroot, scrubbed
- 1 green apple, quartered, cored
- 2 red witlof (Belgian endive), leaves separated
- 100g wild rocket leaves
- 8-12 scallops, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil or walnut oil (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Step 2Place beetroot on a large sheet of foil, then enclose to form a parcel. Roast for 1 hour or until beetroot is tender. Cool the beetroot, then peel and cut into wedges.
- Step 3For the dressing, whisk the olive or walnut oil, vinegar, honey and mustard together in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and lighten with a dash of water. Thickly slice the apple, then toss in the dressing with the witlof and rocket. Set aside while you cook the scallops.
- Step 4Heat a dry frypan over medium heat. Brush scallops with oil and season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. In batches, sear scallops for 30 seconds each side until caramelised on the outside but still opaque in the centre.
- Step 5Divide salad among plates, then tuck in scallops, beetroot and walnuts, drizzle with any remaining dressing and serve.
All nutrition values are per serve
Walnut oil is available from gourmet food shops and delis.
- Author: Jill Dupleix
- Image credit: Jonathon Gregson
- Publication: Taste.com.au