- 3 potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- 600ml Massel chicken style liquid stock or Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1 large celeriac, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, thinly sliced, a few inner leaves reserved
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Good pinch of cayenne
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds (see Notes)
Smoked trout toasties
- 200g smoked trout fillet, shredded
- 1/2 cup (60g) grated gruyere or cheddar
- 4 tortillas
- Step 1Place potatoes in a pan with stock and 600ml water and bring to the boil. Add celeriac and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes until tender.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil or butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until softened. Add to celeriac pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove a few pieces of celeriac, finely chop, then set aside.
- Step 3In batches, blend soup until a smooth puree. Return to pan with the celeriac and spices. Season and stir to combine.
- Step 4For the smoked trout toasties, heat a chargrill pan on medium-high heat. Scatter the trout and grated cheese over 2 tortillas. Season well with pepper, then sandwich with the remaining tortillas. Place on the grill for 2 minutes until lightly browned, then carefully turn and grill the other side for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts. Cut into fingers.
- Step 5Divide soup among bowls, then scatter with celery leaves and celery seeds, and serve with the toasties.
All nutrition values are per serve
Celery seeds are available from delis and gourmet shops, or visit: herbies.com.au.
- Author: Jill Dupleix
- Image credit: Jonathon Gregson
- Publication: Taste.com.au