- 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 45g (1/2 cup) dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- 30g (1/2 cup) finely grated cheddar
- 2 (about 150g each) boneless white fish fillets, halved crossways
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely grated
- 50g snow pea sprouts, ends trimmed
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- Step 1Place flour and egg in separate bowls. Combine breadcrumbs and cheddar on a plate. Using your hands, coat a piece of fish in flour and shake off any excess. Dip in egg and drain off any excess. Dip in breadcrumb mixture, pressing firmly to coat. Place on a clean plate and repeat with the remaining fish fillets. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Step 2Combine carrot, snow pea sprouts and shallot in a bowl. Combine mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle the carrot mixture with the mayonnaise mixture and stir until well combined.
- Step 3Get a grown-up to: Add enough oil to a large frying pan to reach a depth of 5mm. Heat over medium heat. Add the fish and cook for 3 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Step 4Divide hamburger-bun bases among serving plates and top with lettuce, fish and carrot mixture. Top with remaining buns and serve immediately.
- Author: Emma Braz
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste