- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 8 (about 700g) small Lebanese eggplants, trimmed, halved lengthways
- 1 brown onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 ripe tomato, finely chopped
- 7cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 125ml (1/2 cup) water
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped palm sugar
- Step 1Heat 60ml (1/3 cup) of the oil in a large wok over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant and cook, covered, for 2 minutes. Turn the eggplant and cook, covered, for a further 3 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Step 2Heat the remaining oil in the wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until onion softens. Add the tomato, ginger and sambal oelek and stir-fry for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the water and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Taste and season with palm sugar and salt.
- Step 3Reduce heat to medium. Add the eggplant to the tomato mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.