- 250g fettuccine
- 45g (1/4 cup) pine nuts
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon bought chopped chilli (MasterFoods brand)
- 1 425g can tuna in oil, drained, flaked into large chunks
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh continental parsley
- Shaved pecorino, to serve
- Step 1Cook the fettuccine in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain.
- Step 2Meanwhile, place the pine nuts in a small frying pan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until toasted.
- Step 3Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add the capers and chilli, and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 4Add the toasted pine nuts and tuna, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Add the fettuccine and half the parsley, and gently toss until well combined.
- Step 5Divide the fettuccine among shallow serving bowls. Top with the shaved pecorino and remaining parsley.
Microwave tip: Place the pine nuts in an oven bag and twist the opening to close. Cook on High/800watts/100%, gently shaking the bag every minute, for 2-3 minutes or until aromatic and light golden.
- Author: Rekha Arnott
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Australian Good Taste