- 150g vermicelli bean thread noodles
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large (about 150g) Asian red shallots, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 long fresh red chilli, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 270ml can coconut milk
- 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1kg pot-ready fresh mussels
- Step 1Place the noodles in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Stand for 3 minutes until noodles are tender. Separate with a fork. Drain. Refresh under cold running water.
- Step 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallot. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add lemongrass, chilli, ginger, garlic and 4 of the kaffir lime leaves. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Stir in coconut milk, lime juice, brown sugar and fish sauce. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Add the mussels. Cook, covered, stirring once, for 4-5 minutes or until mussels open.
- Step 3Remove from heat and stir in noodles. Finely chop remaining kaffir lime leaves and sprinkle over mussels with lime rind.
- Low kilojoule
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine