- 110g white long-grain rice
- 400g cooked salmon, flaked
- 60g butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 30g Swiss brown mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, chopped
- 2 x 375g packets of block puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Step 2Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the rice and cook according to packet instructions, then drain well. Place in a bowl with the salmon and set aside.
- Step 3Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft, then add mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir into the cooked rice with the dill, lemon rind and juice and the egg. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Roll out a block of pastry to 28 x 20cm. Place on a large baking tray lined with baking paper, and prick surface all over with a fork. Brush with beaten egg. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool. Pile the filling on top of the pastry, then roll out remaining pastry block so it’s large enough to completely cover base. Use to cover the filling and tuck any excess pastry beneath to enclose.
- Step 5Brush with beaten egg and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
Note: We decorated the top using a pastry netting tool, from kitchenware stores.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: delicious.