- 90g butter
- 90g plain flour
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 185ml (3/4 cup) milk
- 60ml (1/4 cup) cream
- 3 teaspoons Spanish olive oil
- 1 small leek, pale section only, washed, finely chopped
- 3 slices prosciutto, finely chopped
- 1 x 200g ctn Stewart's fresh crab meat
- 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour, extra
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 75g (3/4 cup) dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- Extra-light olive oil, to deep-fry
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Pinch of saffron
- 235g (1 cup) whole-egg mayonnaise
- Step 1Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Gradually add the chicken consomme and half the milk, whisking constantly, until combined. Add the cream and remaining milk. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly.
- Step 2Heat the Spanish oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek and prosciutto, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes or until golden. Add crab meat and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Stir into the milk mixture and season with salt and pepper. Cover and place in fridge for 4 hours to chill.
- Step 3Meanwhile, to make the saffron mayonnaise, combine the water and saffron in a heatproof bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to soak. Combine the saffron mixture and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Step 4Place the extra flour, egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Divide the crab mixture into 20 portions and shape each portion into a 7cm-long log. Roll each croquette in the flour, shaking off excess. Dip the croquettes in the egg, then roll in breadcrumbs to evenly coat. Place on a baking tray.
- Step 5Add enough extra-light olive oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat to 190°C over medium-high heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 10 seconds). Add 4 croquettes to the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 4 more batches, with the remaining croquettes, reheating the oil between batches.
- Step 6Place the croquettes in a serving bowl. Serve immediately with the saffron mayonnaise and lemon wedges.
Prepare this recipe to the end of step 3 up to 1 day ahead. Cover and store in the fridge. Continue from step 4 up to 1 hour before serving. Continue from step 5 just before serving.
- Author: Abi Ulgiati
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Australian Good Taste