- 250g penne rigate
- 450g broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, cut into thin wedges
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large carrots, peeled, thinly sliced diagonally
- 375ml can low-fat evaporated milk
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- 425g can tuna in springwater, drained, flaked
- Step 1Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Add broccoli 2 minutes before pasta is cooked.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Add evaporated milk. Bring to a simmer.
- Step 3Combine cornflour and 1 tablespoon of cold water in a small bowl. Stir until a smooth paste forms. Add to evaporated milk mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until sauce just comes to the boil. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Drain pasta and broccoli. Return to the saucepan. Add sauce and tuna. Toss gently to combine.
- Diabetes friendly
- Low fat
- Low sodium
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Veronica Cuskelly
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas