- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (250ml) soda water, or beer (cold)
- 1000ml vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 (1kg) boneless fish fillets, halved
- Step 1Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Gradually add soda water or beer, using a whisk to stir until well combined.
- Step 2Add oil to large saucepan or wok. Heat over medium heat to 190C (when oil is ready, a cube of bread turns golden brown in 10 seconds).
- Step 3Dip 4 pieces of fish, one at a time, into batter to evenly coat and deep-fry for 3-4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with remaining fish pieces, reheating the oil between batches.
- Author: Member recipe
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Taste.com.au