- 1 egg
- 30g packet taco spice mix
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs (see note)
- 500g firm white fish fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- Rice bran oil, for shallow frying
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce, roughly torn
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Tabasco sauce (optional), to serve
- Step 1Place egg and 1 tablespoon cold water in a shallow bowl. Lightly whisk to combine. Place spice mix in a shallow bowl. Place breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Step 2Press fish in spice mix to coat. Dip fish in egg mixture, shaking off excess. Toss fish in breadcrumbs to coat. Place on a plate.
- Step 3Pour enough oil into a frying pan to come 1cm up side of pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook fish, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes, turning, or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- Step 4Meanwhile, heat a chargrill on high. Chargrill tortillas, in batches, for 1 minute or until lightly charred and warm. Serve fish and tortillas with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, coriander, lime wedges and tabasco sauce (if using).
- Low carb
Try adding corncobs to the chargrill to serve with the tortillas. Panko are Japanese-style breadcrumbs traditionally used for deep-fried foods. They are found in the Asian aisle of supermarkets.
- Author: Lucy Nunes & Jo Anne Calabria
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons & Andrew Young
- Publication: Super Food Ideas