- 4 x 200g salmon fillets, skin on
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 25g butter
- 1/2 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Lemon zest, to serve
Poor man’s parmesan
- 2 tablespoons drained baby capers
- 4 slices day-old sourdough bread*
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped tarragon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Pinch of caster sugar
- Step 1To make the poor man’s parmesan, pat capers dry with paper towel. Finely chop. Trim crusts from bread and discard. Coarsely chop remaining bread. Process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Place crumbs in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 5 mins or until pale golden and crisp. Stir in the caper. Add garlic, chilli and oil. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until chilli and garlic are soft and crumbs are dark golden and crisp. Stir in the tarragon and parsley. Season.
- Step 2To make the lemon vinaigrette, process the shallot, oil, vinegar, mustard, lemon juice and sugar in a food processor until smooth and well combined. Season.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat a lightly greased large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Season salmon all over with salt. Add to the pan, skin-side down, and cook for 3 mins or until skin is dark golden and crisp. Transfer pan to oven and bake for 6 mins or until cooked to your liking.
- Step 4Meanwhile, boil or steam asparagus until almost tender. Drain. Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the lemon rind and lemon juice. Add asparagus and toss to combine.
- Step 5Sprinkle salmon with poor man’s parmesan. Serve with asparagus, lemon vinaigrette, chopped parsley and lemon zest.
- Publication: Coles