- 750g small cleaned calamari hoods
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- canola oil, for deep-frying
- Hot chips, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Masterfoods Tartare Sauce, to serve
- Step 1Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut calamari into 1cm-thick rings. Place flour, and salt and pepper, into a bowl. Beat eggs and water in another bowl. Place breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
- Step 2Coat calamari rings in flour, a few at a time. Dip into egg mixture then coat in breadcrumbs. Press breadcrumbs on with fingertips. Place onto a lined baking tray.
- Step 3Preheat oven to 150°C. Pour oil into a deep, heavy-based saucepan or wok until it is one-third full. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook calamari rings, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light golden.
- Step 4Remove calamari to a wire rack over a lined baking tray. Keep warm in oven while cooking remaining calamari. Serve with chips, lemon wedges and tartare sauce.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Luke Burgess
- Publication: Super Food Ideas