- 6 Lebanese cucumbers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g fillet beef, cut into 2cm-thick slices, horizontally
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Extra coriander leaves, to serve
- Step 1Trim ends from cucumbers. Cut into 2cm-thick slices. Using a melon-baller or teaspoon, scoop out seeds, leaving cucumber flesh ‘cups’. Place onto a tray.
- Step 2Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Cook steaks, 2 pieces at a time, for 2 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover with foil. Repeat with remaining steaks. Stand, covered, for 10 minutes before thinly slicing across the grain.
- Step 3Combine steak, onion, mint and coriander in a large bowl. Whisk sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar together in a jug until well combined. Pour over salad. Toss gently to combine. Spoon salad into cucumber cups. Top with extra coriander. Serve.
Hint: This beef salad is also great as a meal on its own. Add 1 carrot, peeled, finely sliced; 1 red capsicum, finely sliced; 100g snow pea sprouts, trimmed, and 1 Lebanese cucumber, deseeded, finely sliced, in step 3.
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Super Food Ideas