- Pinch saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (125g) chorizo, thinly sliced
- 2 (260g) Steggles chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 medium red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 medium red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 12 (355g) medium green prawns, peeled, tails intact, deveined
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Step 1Combine saffron and 1 tablespoon warm water in a jug. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan, over medium-high heat. Cook chorizo, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm. Add chicken to pan. Cook for 3 minutes each side or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Step 3Add onion, garlic, chilli and paprika to pan. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until onion has just softened. Add capsicum. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add rice. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until rice is coated. Add saffron mixture, tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Step 4Return chicken and chorizo to pan. Stir in prawns and peas. Cover. Cook for 3 minutes or until prawns and peas are cooked through. Serve topped with parsley and lemon wedges.
- Low carb
All nutrition values are per serve
Super saver: Use 350g chunky marinara mix instead of prawns and save around $1.93 in total.
- Author: Katrina Woodman
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Super Food Ideas