- 2 fresh red chillies, de-seeded
- 5cm piece lemon grass
- 1 garlic clove
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1.75L (7 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1 440ml can coconut milk
- 200g dried egg noodles
- 200g bean sprouts
- 1.5kg green king prawns, peeled, deveined
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- Step 1Place the chillies, lemon grass, garlic, ginger, coriander, turmeric and fish sauce in a food processor and process to a paste. Heat peanut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the paste for 5 minutes or until aromatic.
- Step 2Add the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the coconut milk and simmer gently for a further 10 minutes.
- Step 3Meanwhile, cook the noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water following packet directions, until just tender. Drain. Divide the noodles evenly among serving bowls and top with the bean sprouts.
- Step 4Add the prawns to the soup and simmer for 3 minutes or until just cooked through. Ladle the soup over the noodles and sprinkle with coriander leaves to garnish. Serve immediately.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
* This recipe could use alternatively use fish stock.
- Author: A. Perry, Emu Ridge, ACT (reader recipe).
- Publication: Australian Good Taste