- 1kg fish bones (white-fleshed and prawn shells)
- 30g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- Fennel trimmings (optional)
- 250ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 stalks flat-leaf parsley
- 10 black peppercorns
- Step 1Rinse fish bones and prawn shells.
- Step 2Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and fennel, if using, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until soft. Add fish bones and prawn shells, and stir until bones whiten. Add wine and 2L (8 cups) water to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Step 3Reduce heat to low–medium and simmer gently for 20 minutes (don’t boil or your stock will be cloudy). Strain through a fine sieve. Refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Author: Sophia Young
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: MasterChef