- 6 anchovy fillets, drained, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 (about 250g each) lamb eye of loin (backstraps)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Combine the anchovy, garlic, rosemary, thyme and extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
- Step 2Place 1 lamb backstrap on a clean work surface. Use a sharp knife to make a horizontal cut, about three-quarters deep, in the side of the lamb (donâ€™t cut all the way through). Open the lamb to sit flat. Spread with one-third of the anchovy mixture. Fold to enclose the filling. Use unwaxed white kitchen string to tie at 2cm intervals. Repeat with remaining lamb and anchovy mixture.
- Step 3Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook the lamb for 11/2 minutes each side. Transfer to the prepared tray. Bake for 10 minutes for medium or until cooked to your liking. Cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Remove the string from the lamb and thickly slice to serve.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sodium
- Low sugar
Make it ahead: Prepare to the end of step 2 up to 1 day ahead. Place on a plate. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Remove from the fridge 20 minutes before cooking. Continue from step 3, 20 minutes before serving.
- Author: Tracy Rutherford
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Australian Good Taste