- 16 baguette slices, crusts removed
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 3 rashers bacon, rind removed
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, drained (optional)
- 2 baby cos lettuces, outer leaves removed
- 1/2 cup (40g) shaved parmesan
- 400g hot-smoked trout, skin removed, flaked
- Chervil sprigs, to serve (optional)
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with foil.
- Step 2Brush the baguette slices with oil and place on the baking tray with the bacon.
- Step 3Bake for 5-6 minutes until the bacon is crisp and the bread is golden. Remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool, then break bacon into shards. Set aside.
- Step 4Place 2 whole eggs in a small saucepan over high heat, cover with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 minutes for soft-boiled. Cool eggs, then peel, quarter and set aside.
- Step 5Place the remaining 1 egg in a food processor with the lemon juice, mustard and anchovy, if using, then whiz to combine. With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a slow, steady stream until it forms a smooth dressing. Season dressing to taste.
- Step 6To serve, separate the lettuce leaves, then divide among 4 serving plates, tearing any larger leaves. Top each plate with 4 baguette slices, 2 egg quarters some bacon and parmesan shavings. Add the flaked trout, then drizzle with dressing and garnish with chervil, if using.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: delicious.