- 4 x 220g pieces kingfish, pin-boned, skin on
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 60g butter
- Grilled pita bread (optional), to serve
Orange, date & white bean salad
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 oranges (1 zested and juiced, 2 cut into segments)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 230g (1 cup) fresh dates, halved, pitted
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley
- Step 1To make salad dressing, place the garlic, orange zest and juice, honey and oil in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, then whisk to combine. Makes 125ml (1/2 cup).
- Step 2Using a sharp knife, halve fish pieces lengthwise. Heat 2 tablespoons oil and 30g butter in a large frying pan over high heat. Add half the fish, cut-side down, and cook for 1 minute or until golden. Turn over and cook for a further minute or until golden and just cooked. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 30g butter and fish. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Step 3Meanwhile, to make salad, place orange segments, beans, dates and herbs in a large bowl with three-quarters of the dressing. Season and toss well to combine.
- Step 4Divide fish and salad among plates, then drizzle remaining dressing over salad. Serve with grilled pita bread, if using.
- Low carb
Tips: For a variation, substitute other firm white fish. Or use four-bean mix or kidney beans instead of cannellini beans.
For a simple yet elegant dinner-party main, serve with minted yoghurt.
- Author: Dominic Smith
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: MasterChef