- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons well drained capers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon rind
- 5 slices wholegrain rye bread, crusts removed, cut into quarters (you will need 18 squares)
- 1/2 Lebanese cucumber, cut crossways into 18 thin slices, halved
- 1 200g pkt smoked ocean trout slices (you will need 9 slices), halved lengthways
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the capers and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel and set aside until required.
- Step 2Combine the lemon juice and remaining oil in a small jug, and season with salt.
- Step 3Place the onion, dill and lemon rind in a small bowl, and mix well. Place the bread squares on a board. Top each with 2 pieces of the cucumber and 1 piece of the ocean trout.
- Step 4Drizzle the ocean trout with a little of the lemon dressing, and top with the onion mixture and some fried capers. Divide among serving plates and sprinkle with a little pepper. Serve immediately.
You can make this recipe to the end of step 3, 30 minutes before serving. Cover loosely with non-stick baking paper and set aside in a cool place. Continue from step 4 just before serving.
- Author: Amanda Kelly
- Publication: Australian Good Taste