- 4 x 250g mackerel, filleted, pin-boned
- 300g firm tofu
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste or white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons cooking sake
- 4cm-piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (140g) carrot, finely diced
- 1/3 daikon radish (Japanese white radish), finely grated
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 green onions, finely chopped, plus extra to serve
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Step 1Using a small spoon, scoop mackerel flesh from skin, then chop to a fine mince. Wrap tofu in paper towel, place on a plate and weight with a second plate for 10 minutes. Using a fork, mash tofu in a bowl. Combine with mackerel.
- Step 2Combine: egg, miso, sake in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add miso mixture, ginger, onion and carrot to tofu mixture and combine.
- Step 3Squeeze excess moisture from grated daikon. Shape into small balls and set aside. Combine soy sauce, lemon juice and green onions in dipping bowls.
- Step 4Add enough oil to wok or large saucepan to reach 1/3 of the way up the side of the pan. Heat over medium heat to 180°C. Using your hands, form tablespoonfuls of mackerel mixture into balls. Deep-fry 4-5 balls at a time until golden. Drain on paper towel. Serve scattered with green onion, with daikon and bowls of dipping sauce.
- Author: Akiko Ganivet
- Image credit: Ben Dearnley
- Publication: Notebook: