- 3 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 200ml olive oil (See notes)
- Salt & freshly ground white pepper
- Step 1Place the yolks, vinegar and mustard in a blender and process until all the ingredients are light and creamy.
- Step 2While the motor is running and in a slow steady stream, gradually add the oil until thick and pale.
- Step 3Add ingredients such as roasted garlic for aioli; tomato sauce for seafood sauce; and mustard, Worcestershire sauce and anchovies for Caesar dressing.
- Step 4Season with pepper and salt and use when required.
Since homemade mayonnaise is uncooked, be sure to use the freshest eggs possible. Homemade mayonnaise will last three to four days in the refrigerator. To make tartare sauce, don’t blend the flavouring ingredients, chop them finely and fold them through the prepared mayonnaise.
For a more neutral flavour mayonnaise, you could substitute the olive oil for sunflower, canola or other vegetable oils)
- Author: Victoria Hansen
- Image credit: Sue Ferris
- Publication: Fresh Living