- 1/2 cup (150g) Kewpie mayonnaise
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 100g fresh peas, or frozen peas (unthawed)
- 1 1/2 cups (75g) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour, seasoned
- 600g skinless snapper fillets, pin-boned
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- Step 1Combine the Kewpie, lemon zest and juice in a bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- Step 2Place peas in a small food processor and whiz to fine crumbs. Place in a bowl with the panko and sesame seeds.
- Step 3Combine eggs with 2 tbs water in a bowl, season and whisk to combine. Place seasoned flour in a separate bowl.
- Step 4Slice snapper into 2cm-thick strips. Coat in the seasoned flour, then egg and finally the panko mixture. Place on a baking paper-lined baking tray.
- Step 5Half-fill a deep-fryer or saucepan with oil until it reaches 160C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 45 seconds when the oil is hot enough). deep-fry the fish, in batches, for 3-4 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Serve fish with lemon mayonnaise on the side.
- Author: Warren Mendes
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste.com.au