- 800g white fish fillets, such as hapuka
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 1 /2 cups (105g) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 1 cup (70g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 lemon
- 8 (about 200g) marinated artichokes, drained, juice reserved, halved
- 1 tablespoon caperberries, stalks removed
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Mesclun salad leaves, to serve
- Step 1Use a sharp knife to slice fish into 12 thick ‘fingers’, about 2-3cm wide and 12cm long. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley in a shallow bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2Dip a fish ‘finger’ in the flour and shake off any excess. Dip fish in egg mixture then breadcrumb mixture, pressing down firmly to coat. Place coated fish on a tray. Repeat with remaining fish, flour, egg and breadcrumb mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
- Step 3Meanwhile, use a zester to remove rind from the lemon. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel rind from the lemon. Use a small, sharp knife to remove white pith from rind. Cut rind into very thin strips.) Juice the lemon. Combine artichokes, 1 tablespoon reserved artichoke juice, lemon zest and juice, caperberries and parsley leaves in a small bowl.
- Step 4Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the fish and cook, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat in 2 more batches with remaining fish.
- Step 5Serve fish with artichoke and caperberry salsa, lemon wedges and salad leaves, if desired.
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Cynthia Black
- Image credit: Amanda McLauchlan
- Publication: Notebook: