- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 700g piece barramundi fillet
- 500g casarecce or other short pasta (see note)
- 50g butter
- 5 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 bulb baby fennel, trimmed, thinly shaved, fronds reserved
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- 80g (1/2 cup) pine nuts, roasted, finely chopped
- Step 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Whisk 2 tablespoons oil, garlic and all paprika in a small bowl. Place fish, skin-side down, on tray, brush with oil mixture, then season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until just cooked. Cool for 15 minutes, then, using your hands, flake fish into 3cm pieces.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain, reserving 60ml (1/4 cup) cooking water.
- Step 3Heat butter and remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over high heat. Add anchovies and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft and anchovies have broken down. Stir in chilli, pasta and reserved cooking water, then remove from heat. Add fish, fennel, lemon zest and juice, and pine nuts. Season and toss well to combine.
- Step 4Divide pasta among bowls. Scatter with reserved fennel fronds to serve.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
Top tips: Casarecce, which means ‘homemade’ in Italian, is a twisted, tubular pasta. Available from supermarkets. To thinly shave baby fennel, use a mandolin or sharp knife.
- Author: Dominic Smith
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: MasterChef