- 2 red capsicums, quartered
- 2 yellow capsicums, quartered
- 1 large ciabatta loaf, cut into 1.5cm slices, chargrilled
- 6 garlic cloves
- 90g good-quality anchovies (rinsed if salted: see Notes)
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil
- 100g unsalted butter
- Step 1For the bagna cauda, blanch the garlic cloves in a small saucepan of boiling water for 20 seconds. Repeat process twice more, changing the water between each.
- Step 2Place garlic in a small pan over low heat with the anchovies, oil and butter. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and gently breaking up with a wooden spoon, until the garlic and anchovies have completely broken down.
- Step 3Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Place capsicum under the grill, skin-side up, for 3-4 minutes until skins blacken and blister. Transfer to a plastic bag, or place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap, and allow to cool. Once cool, remove skins, then cut into thick strips.
- Step 4To serve, top grilled bread slices with capsicum, and drizzle over bagna cauda.
All nutrition values are per serve
Anchovies are available from gourmet food shops and delis.
- Author: David Prior
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: delicious.