- 20g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 500g Sebago potatoes, peeled, chopped (see note)
- 750ml (3 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 1 x 50g btl salmon caviar
- Fresh dill sprigs, to serve
- Step 1Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the onion is soft but not coloured.
- Step 2Add potato and stock. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, partially covered, for 15 minutes or until potato is very soft. Uncover. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Step 3Use a stick blender to blend until smooth. Alternatively, transfer half the potato mixture to the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.
- Step 4Stir in the milk. Place the soup over medium heat and stir until heated through.
- Step 5Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Top with a dollop of sour cream, a teaspoonful of caviar and dill to serve.
If Sebago potatoes are unavailable, use Golden Delight potatoes.
Make it ahead: Either freeze ahead (see below) or prepare this recipe to the end of step 3 up to 1 day ahead. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Ten minutes before serving, reheat the soup, then continue from step 4.
Freezing tip: Cool at the end of step 3. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and reheat as above.
- Author: Tracy Rutherford
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste