- 1 Coles Australian Pork Leg Roast (about 3kg), rind on and bone in
- 1 tablespoon sea salt (flakes preferred)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup (80ml) rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 20g ginger, peeled, very finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1.5kg watermelon, rind removed, flesh cut into 5mm-thick triangular slices
- 1/2 cup fresh small basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh small mint leaves
- Step 1To prepare pork, the night before cooking, using a sharp knife or box cutter, deepen scoring on rind and extend existing scoring so that all of rind is scored. Be sure to cut all the way through rind and fat until you reach meat (do not cut through meat). Refrigerate pork, uncovered, for at least 12 hours and up to 2 days. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 250C (230C fan-forced). Rub sea salt into scored rind. Season cut-side of pork with salt and place pork, cut-side down, on a rack set in a roasting pan.
- Step 3Roast pork for 30 mins or until rind is crisp and golden. Reduce oven temperature to 160C (140C fan-forced) and roast for 2½ hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into centre of pork registers 65°C. Transfer pork to a carving board to rest for 20 mins.
- Step 4Meanwhile, to make watermelon salad, in a medium bowl, whisk lime juice, vinegar, sugar, fish sauce and ginger. Stir in onion and set aside at room temperature for 20 mins to soften onion.
- Step 5Place watermelon in a large shallow bowl. Spoon dressing over watermelon and turn gently to coat. Sprinkle with basil and mint.
- Step 6Using a sharp knife, cut crackling from pork. Thinly slice pork and arrange with crackling on another platter. Serve alongside watermelon salad.
Make It Ahead: Air-dry the pork in the fridge up to 2 days before cooking. Make the dressing for watermelon salad up to 2 hours ahead, cover and refrigerate. Bring dressing to room temperature before serving.
- Author: Curtis Stone
- Image credit: (N/A)
- Publication: Coles