- 12 slices white bread
- 2 eggs
- 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 30g unsalted butter
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 125ml (1/2 cup) creme fraiche
- 100g smoked salmon
- Salmon roe, to serve (see Notes)
- Step 1Preheat oven to 140°C. Use a 3cm cutter to cut out two circles from each slice of bread.
- Step 2Place the eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk to combine. Add saffron and set aside for 45 minutes. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Dip the bread in the saffron mixture allowing excess batter to drain off, and fry for 1-2 minutes each side until golden. (Keep the toast warm in the oven until ready to serve.) Spoon some creme fraiche, smoked salmon and salmon roe on each toast and serve.
* Available from gourmet food stores.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Ian Wallace
- Publication: Taste.com.au