- 125g butter
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 415g can red salmon, drained and flaked
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Step 1Rub 80g butter into self-raising flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and dill. Mix with hands until it comes together to form a dough. Shape into a small rectangle, wrap in greaseproof paper and place into the freezer for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 200°C. Melt remaining butter in a saucepan over high heat. Add plain flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Return to heat and stir over medium-high heat until sauce comes to the boil.
- Step 3Add remaining cheese. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Step 4Stir salmon and egg into sauce. Season. Spoon into 4 x 3/4-cup capacity or 1 x 4-cup ovenproof baking dish.
- Step 5Remove dough from freezer and grate. Sprinkle over mornay. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is hot and golden.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Dixie Elliott
- Image credit: Louise Lister
- Publication: Super Food Ideas