- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika (pimenton: see Notes)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 yellow capsicum
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- Handful of coriander sprigs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8-12 fresh sardines, cleaned (ask your fishmonger to do this)
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 180C. Cook the potatoes in a pan of simmering salted water for 8-10 minutes until almost tender, then drain well.
- Step 2Toss potatoes with paprika and 1 tablespoon oil. Season and spread on a large lined baking tray, then roast for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Step 3Meanwhile, heat a chargrill pan or barbecue on medium-high heat. Brush the capsicums with a little extra olive oil and grill or barbecue for 4-5 minutes, turning, until the skin blisters. Set aside in a bowl and cover in plastic wrap. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into strips.
- Step 4Place in a bowl with the cooked potatoes, then toss with tomatoes, onion, coriander, lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5Increase the chargrill pan or barbecue heat to high. Brush the sardines and the grill with a little more oil to help prevent sticking. Sprinkle the sardines with 1 teaspoon sea salt – the soft-flaked variety is best – then cook the sardines for 2-3 minutes each side until the skin is scorched and bubbling.
- Step 6Divide the sardines among plates, then top with the salad and serve with lemon.
All nutrition values are per serve
Pimenton is available gourmet food shops and delis.
- Author: Jill Dupleix
- Image credit: Steve Brown
- Publication: Taste.com.au