- 2 loaves of sliced white bread
- Unsalted butter, to spread
Smoked salmon & lemon cream-cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon juice
- 150g cream cheese, softened
- 200g smoked salmon slices
Goat's curd & cucumber
- 200g goat's curd* or soft goat's cheese
- 1 telegraph cucumber
- Step 1For the smoked salmon filling, combine the lemon zest, juice and cream cheese in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread half the slices of 1 loaf of bread with butter, and the other half with the cream cheese mixture. Cover cream cheese with smoked salmon, season with pepper, then top with buttered bread. Using a serrated knife, remove crusts and cut each sandwich into 4 triangles.
- Step 2For the goats curd and cucumber sandwiches, butter half the slices of the remaining loaf of bread. Spread the remaining slices of bread with the goat’s curd, then season with salt and pepper. Cut the cucumber into lengths about the same size as the bread, then slice thinly lengthways. Lay cucumber slices over the cheese, then top with buttered bread. Using a serrated knife, remove the crusts from the sandwiches and cut each sandwich into 3 fingers.
* Goat’s curd is available from delis and gourmet food shops. A nice option is to serve the sandwiches in square tank loaves and round country loaves. Use a serrated bread knife to cut the tops from each loaf, then remove the centre, leaving the crust. You can use the centres of the loaves for breadcrumbs, which will keep frozen for up to 1 month.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: delicious.