- 20g butter
- 2 baby (about 300g) fennel bulbs, outer leaves removed, halved, thinly sliced crossways
- 1 x pkt 2 sesame seed half-baguettes (Bake at Home brand)
- 2 x 105g cans sardines in spring water (King Oscar brand) drained, chopped
- 1 small red onion, halved, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh continental parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Melt the butter in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat until foaming. Add the fennel and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender and brown. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Step 2Meanwhile, cook baguettes in preheated oven following packet directions or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Step 3Combine the fennel, sardines, onion, parsley, dill, lemon juice, vinegar and half the olive oil in a large bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 4Preheat grill on high. Thickly slice baguettes diagonally. Brush both sides with remaining oil and cook under preheated grill for 2 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Step 5Top each baguette slice with some of the sardine mixture and serve immediately.
Prep: 10 mins (+ 10 mins cooling time) Tips: Sardines have a strong flavour. We added white vinegar to help balance the flavours in this recipe. Substitute canned tuna or red salmon for the sardines and 2 tbs chopped fresh basil leaves for the dill, if desired.
- Author: Amanda Kelly
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Australian Good Taste