- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 150g snow peas, topped
- 1 bunch (250g) watercress, washed, dried, leaves picked
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 24 scallops, without roe
- 75g (1/4 cup) white rice (Shiro) miso paste
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Step 1Half-fill a sink with cold water. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add the asparagus and cook, uncovered, for 15 seconds (see microwave tip 1).
- Step 2Add the snow peas and cook for 30 seconds or until bright green and tender crisp (see microwave tip 2). Use a metal sieve or large slotted spoon to transfer the beans and snow peas to a colander which is sitting over a bowl. Sit the colander in the sink of cold water for 1-2 minutes or until the vegetables are cool. Drain well and pat dry with paper towel.
- Step 3Diagonally slice the asparagus into 3 equal lengths and diagonally slice the snow peas in half. Combine the watercress, asparagus and snow peas in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Step 4To make the miso dressing, whisk the miso, water and sugar in a small bowl until miso dissolves. Whisk in the vinegar and sesame oil.
- Step 5Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until light golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add the oil to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add the scallops and cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until just cooked through and light golden. Add the sesame seeds and toss to combine.
- Step 6Divide the watercress mixture among serving plates. Top with the scallops and drizzle with the miso dressing. Serve immediately.
- High protein
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
serves: 4 as an entree variation: You can also use scallops with the roe attached for this recipe. You will need 3-5 per person depending on the size. microwave tip 1: Place the washed asparagus in a freezer bag, adjusting until 1 deep when bag is laid flat. Twist opening to close. Cook on High/800watts/100% for 1-1 1/2 minutes microwave tip 2: Place the washed snow peas in a freezer bag and twist opening to close. Cook on High/ 800watts/100% for 1-1 1/2 minutes. to drink: Pol Gessner Champagne, $30.
- Author: Alison Roberts
- Image credit: John Paul Urizar
- Publication: Australian Good Taste