- 2 smoked eels (see note) or 1 whole smoked trout
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 eschalots, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons horseradish sauce
- Flat-leaf parsley, to serve
- Toasts, to serve
- Step 1Starting at the tail end, peel the skin from the eels. Flake the flesh, discarding the bones, then place in a food processor with half the butter, lemon zest and eschalots. Whiz until smooth, then divide pate among six 150ml ramekins or pots.
- Step 2Heat the horseradish and remaining butter in a pan over low heat and stir until melted. Pour over paté, then press in some parsley leaves and sprinkle with black pepper. Chill for 1 hour (or up to 3 days) until set. Bring the pate to room temperature before serving with toasts.
All nutrition values are per serve
Smoked eel is from gourmet food shops and selected fishmongers.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Mark Roper
- Publication: Taste.com.au