- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 300g (1 1/2 cups) Basmati rice
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 685ml (2 3/4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 250g broccoli, cut into small florets
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup chopped continental parsley
- 150g hot-smoked salmon fillet, skin removed, flaked
- 40g (1/4 cup) slivered almonds, toasted
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Step 1Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and lemon rind and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Step 2Add rice. Stir for 2 minutes or until grains appear slightly glassy. Add wine. Simmer for 1 minute or until wine is absorbed. Add stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Place broccoli on the rice. Cover saucepan with a clean tea towel. Replace lid. Set aside for 5 minutes or until broccoli and rice are tender and the stock is absorbed.
- Step 3Use a fork to separate the grains. Stir in spinach, chives and parsley. Top the pilaf with salmon and almonds, and serve with lemon wedges.
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Chrissy Freer
- Image credit: Rob Palmer
- Publication: Australian Good Taste