- 2 x 350g whole hot-smoked rainbow trouts
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1/3 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill leaves, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 baguettes, sliced
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Pickled dill cucumbers, to serve
- Step 1Peel skin from trout and discard. Remove flesh, carefully discarding the fine bones. Place trout in a large bowl. Gently flake into large pieces (see notes).
- Step 2Add crème fraîche, mayonnaise, garlic, dill and lemon juice. Fold gently to combine, adding extra lemon juice, if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 3Divide mixture among 8 x 1/2-cup-capacity jars. Smooth surface. Cover with lids or plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours to allow mixture to set and flavours to develop.
- Step 4Preheat grill on high. Place 1/2 the baguette slices on a baking tray. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes each side or until toasted. Repeat with remaining baguette slices.
- Step 5Arrange extra dill sprigs on each pot. Serve with toasted baguette slices, lemon wedges and pickled dill cucumbers.
All nutrition values are per serve
Don’t flake the trout too finely as it will flake a little more when you combine it with the other ingredients.
- Author: Nagi Maehashi
- Image credit: Nagi Maehashi
- Publication: Super Food Ideas