- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 200ml creme fraiche or sour cream
- 2 whole smoked trout (see note), skin removed
- Pumpernickel bread (see note), to serve
- 2 telegraph cucumbers, halved
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice or whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup chopped dill, plus sprigs to garnish
- Step 1Use a vegetable peeler or mandoline slicer to cut thin strips from the cucumber halves, discarding the seeds when you get to the centre. Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt. Stand for 30 minutes, then rinse well in cold water. Squeeze to remove excess liquid and pat dry with paper towel.
- Step 2Combine sugar, vinegar, spice and 2 tablespoons chopped dill in a bowl, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add the cucumber and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour to pickle.
- Step 3Meanwhile, stir the lemon zest and the remaining dill into the creme fraiche, then cover and chill until required.
- Step 4Garnish each trout with the extra dill sprigs, then serve with pickled cucumber, creme fraiche and slices of pumpernickel.
- Low carb
- Low kilojoule
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
Whole smoked trout are available from fishmongers and delis, or use 4 smoked trout fillets. Pumpernickel is from delis and selected supermarkets. Pickling spice is from spice shops and delis
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Amanda McLauchlan
- Publication: delicious.