- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 fresh chorizo, skinned, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2L fish stock or Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (75g) calasparra (see note) or arborio rice
- 200g skinless salmon fillet, pin-boned, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 small squid tubes, cleaned, cut into rings
- 12 green prawns, peeled (tails intact), deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Chopped hard-boiled egg, to garnish
- Step 1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chorizo, carrot and zest. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften and chorizo starts to crisp. Add stock, tomato and rice, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the rice is al dente.
- Step 2Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large frypan over high heat. Season the seafood, then cook, in batches if necessary, for 1 minute until just opaque. Stir the seafood into the soup and simmer for a further minute until heated through. Ladle into bowls, then scatter with parsley and egg, if desired.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
- Lower gi
All nutrition values are per serve
Calasparra, a Spanish short-grain rice traditionally used in paella, is from Spanish and gourmet food shops.
- Author: Valli Little
- Image credit: Brett Stevens
- Publication: Taste.com.au