- 500g spaghetti
- 100g (1/2 cup) drained capers
- 125mls (1/2 cup) vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 2cm-wide strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme leaves
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Step 1Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of salted boiling water, following packet directions, until al dente.
- Step 2Meanwhile rinse the capers under cold running water then drain and pat dry with paper towel. Heat the vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Gently fry the capers in batches in the hot oil for 30-60 seconds or until the buds begin to open and lightly brown. Remove the capers from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Step 3Heat the olive oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat and cook the red onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Drain the cooked pasta and add to the frying pan with the capers, smoked salmon, lemon thyme and black pepper. Toss quickly in the pan for 1 minute without overheating the salmon. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and serve.
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
- Author: Kristen Anderson
- Publication: Australian Good Taste