- 4 (about 800g) firm white fish fillets (such as perch or snapper), skin on
- 2 eggs
- 60ml (1/4 cup) coconut milk or regular milk
- 70g (1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 40g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Baby rocket leaves, to serve
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 200g natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons drained finely chopped capers
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander, loosely packed finely chopped
- Pinch of salt
- Sharp filleting knife
- Step 1To make the coriander yoghurt, combine the yoghurt, capers, garlic and coriander in a medium bowl. Taste and season with salt. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until required.
- Step 2Place 1 fish fillet, skin-side down, on a clean work surface. Holding the tail end of the fillet, use a sharp filleting knife to make a small incision between the flesh and the skin near the tail end. Holding the knife at a 45-degree angle to the skin, gently pull the skin so the blade cuts the flesh from the skin. Discard skin. Repeat with remaining fillets. Cut fillets lengthways into 3 equal pieces. Cut each piece into 10cm lengths (you should have about 24 pieces of fish).
- Step 3Crack eggs into a bowl. Add milk and whisk until combined. Place breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. Combine flour, cumin, coriander, paprika and turmeric in another bowl. Season with salt.
- Step 4Place a few pieces of fish in the flour mixture and toss to coat. Shake off any excess. Dip in egg and drain off excess. Place in breadcrumbs and toss to coat. Transfer to a tray. Repeat with remaining fish, flour mixture, egg and breadcrumbs.
- Step 5Add enough oil to a wok to reach a depth of 10cm. Heat to 180°C over high heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 15 seconds). Add one-third of the fish and deep-fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining fish, reheating oil between batches.
- Step 6Arrange fish on a serving patter. Serve immediately with rocket, lemon wedges and coriander yoghurt.
- Author: Amanda Kelly
- Image credit: Mark O'Meara
- Publication: Australian Good Taste