- 300g flathead or other firm white fish fillets, cut into 8cm pieces
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 100g (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 3 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 300g day-old white breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, to deep fry
- 250g whole-egg mayonnaise
- 50 baby salted capers, rinsed, chopped
- 50g cornichons, chopped
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1/4 bunch continental parsley, chopped
- Step 1To make the tartare, combine all the ingredients in a bowl except the lemon juice. Add lemon juice to taste. Season.
- Step 2Place fish on a plate and sprinkle with rind. Place flour on a plate. Season. Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl. Place breadcrumbs on a plate. Coat fish in flour and shake off excess. Dip fish into egg mix, then press in breadcrumbs to coat. Repeat to double crumb.
- Step 3Add oil to deep fryer or saucepan to reach one-third up the side. Heat to 180°C. Deep fry fish fingers, in 2 batches, for 2-3 minutes until just cooked. Drain on paper towel. Season. Serve with tartare.
- Low carb
- Low sugar
All nutrition values are per serve
Serves 4 as a snack.
- Author: Colin Fassnidge
- Image credit: Jeremy Simons
- Publication: Taste Magazine